The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot is a community-driven program. It’s designed to spread the benefits of economic immigration to smaller communities by creating a path to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers who want to work and live in one of the participating communities.

Each community will also have its own

  • additional eligibility requirements
  • job search process
  • community recommendation application process

Find out if you qualify for RNIP - Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

Apply for Jobs in Eligible Communities

Communities in RNIP program
North Bay, ON
Sudbury, ON
Timmins, ON
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Thunder Bay, ON
Brandon, MB
Altona/Rhineland, MB
Moose Jaw, SK
Claresholm, AB
Vernon, BC
West Kootenay (Trail, Castlegar, Rossland, Nelson), BC

Who can apply

To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program, you must meet all IRCC eligibility requirements. You must

  • have qualifying work experience or have graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the recommending community
  • meet or exceed the language requirements
  • meet or exceed the educational requirements
  • prove you have enough money to support your transition into the community
  • intend to live in the community
  • meet community-specific requirements

Work experience

You need 1 year of continuous work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the past 3 years.

Your work experience must include:

  • most of the main duties and all the essential duties listed in your National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • the activities listed in the lead statement of your NOC

Language requirements

The minimum language requirements for each NOC category are (IELTS):

Skill level Listening Reading Writing Speaking
NOC 0, A (CLB 6) 5.5 5.0 5.5 5.5
NOC B (CLB 5) 5.0 4.0 5.0 5.0
NOC C, D (CLB 4) 4.5 3.5 4.0 4.0


You must submit your results from a designated language test. These results must be less than 2 years old when you apply.

Educational requirements

You must have

  • a Canadian high school diploma or
  • an educational credential assessment (ECA) report, from a designated organization or professional body, showing that you completed a foreign credential that’s equal to Canadian secondary school (high school)
    • The ECA report must be less than 5 years old on the date of your application.
    • If the ECA report was issued by a designated organization, the original report must have been issued on or after the date the organization was designated.

Settlement funds

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada, unless you’re already working in Canada under a valid work permit.

You can’t borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they’re not coming with you).

Your proof can be 1 or more of the following

·       bank account statements

·       documents that show real property or other investments (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, etc.)

·       documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money payable to you (such as banker’s drafts, cheques, traveller’s cheques or money orders)

The amount of money you need to support your family depends on the size of your family. We update these amounts every year.

Number of family members
(including those you support who aren’t immigrating with you)
Funds you need
(in Canadian dollars)
1 $8,722
2 $10,858
3 $13,348
4 $16,206
5 $18,380
6 $20,731
7 or more $23,080

Intend to live in the community

To participate in the pilot, you must plan to live in the community.

Community-specific requirements

Each community will have additional requirements for applicants.

Contact us today for a consultation

Contact us today to discuss your unique immigration situation. Book a meeting with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant. We are available to meet in person, online, or by phone.