Temporary residents (students, workers, visitors), Express Entry and Canadian citizenship certificate
- The photo must show a full front view of the head and tops of shoulders, with the face in the middle of the photo.
- Size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31mm and 36mm.
- Image size: at least 420 x 540 pixels.
- We accept JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
- File size: approximately 240 kB, no more than 4 MB.
- Image must be in colour (24 bits per pixel) in RGB colour space, the common output for most digital cameras.
Temporary residents and Express Entry
- The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35mm x 45mm.
- If you scan an existing photo, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
Canadian citizenship certificate
- Final frame size of the photo must be 50mm x 70mm.
- Upload a colour digital photo taken by a commercial photographer (We don't accept black and white photos).
- Scanned photos are not accepted.
- Photo must be taken within the last 6 months.
- Don't use a smart phone to take the photo.
- Don't change the digital photos in any way.
- You must also upload the photographer's information (name, address and date the photo was taken) to the "Client Information" item, under Optional Documents. We accept the photographer's receipt or a text file.
How to take a visa photo:
Instructions for photographer: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/photospecs-e.pdf